Saturday, May 30, 2009

Lt. Col. Ranjith Perera - Traitor who was on LTTE payroll and leaked sensitive info to 'Prabha'

Recently State Intelligence Service (SIS) agents arrested a LTTE suicide cadre in Negombo who revealed the whereabouts of another suicide cadre in Wellawatte, residing in a luxury apartment located in 37th Lane. When SIS agents arrived at the apartment, second suicide cadre committed suicide by jumping from the 7th floor. SIS agents recovered four suicide kits. A mobile phone used by this LTTE agent had the phone number of an Army Colonel attached to Military Intelligence (MI) as well as to the SF. It was Lt. Col. Ranjith Perera attached to the Ratmalana Army Transit Camp.

The suicide cadre revealed that this Colonel facilitated the transportation of cadres and suicide kits to several areas. He further said that they had tried their utmost to carry out a suicide mission during the recent ‘Deyata Kirula’ exhibition at the BMICH. Their target had been to kill the President, the Defence Secretary or Army Commander. But the attempt had failed as the security cordon was too tight. The Colonel had suicide cadres in his vehicle when the President visited the ‘Deyata Kirula’ exhibition at the BMICH.

‘Colombo’s Praba’ caught & Lt. Col. Ranjith Perera exposed

A person had been in the habit of meeting diplomats at the Colombo Swimming Club (CSC) whom he lobbied and misled, regarding the conflict in Sri Lanka. His name is Prabha and lived in Wellawatte. He was the owner of an electronics outlet called Panama Traders, Shop Numbers 3-26 and 3-27 on the 3rd Floor of Majestic City. His mobile phone number was 0777 398 117 and his shop phone number was 011 4527057.

One of Prabha’s major links was Lt. Col. Ranjith Perera, a Colonel General Staff (GS) of 52 Division. He served from 2006-2-9 to 2008-1-8. He had been denied promotion to the rank of full Colonel by the Army Commander. This was because during a battle at Tanankilappu in Jaffna when the LTTE had attacked this Lt. Col.’s battalion, he had not offered resistance, and without his superior officer’s command, he had withdrawn his battalion from battle.

As Colonel GS, he had passed sensitive information to Prabha over his phone. Some of the incidents, where prior information had reached the LTTE, are:

* The LTTE attack on February 14, 2007, when the Mechanised Infantry Regiment was observing its ceremonial day, in which the then Mechanised Brigade Commander Col. Ralph Nugera was seriously injured and soldiers killed.

* When the Defence Secretary and the Army Commander flew to Jaffna, the LTTE mounted an artillery attack from Pooneryn on Palaly Air Base. The aircraft did not land and returned safely to Colombo. This trip was a tightly kept secret among the security forces, but not so for the LTTE, as the sensitive information had been already passed onto the Tigers through Lt. Col. Ranjith Perera.

* The other was when the then GOC Jaffna Maj. Gen. G.A. Chandrasiri was on an inspection tour of Jaffna. Then too, the LTTE directed artillery fire.

* And whenever the Sri Lanka Army advanced from the Muhamalai front, the LTTE almost always had prior information from this Lt. Col. All these information passed through Prabha.

>> Bottom Line - 2009/5/20
>> Bottom Line - 2009/5/27